Gorham’s team of dedicated Planning professionals have decades of combined experience providing expert location and approval assistance to businesses of all types and sizes.  General information about permits and the approval process for new or expanded development is below.

For more information, or if you have questions about a specific project, please contact Zoning Administrator David Galbraith at 207.222.1621.



New businesses are required to have a Use Permit, which is issued after the business is inspected by the Gorham Fire Department and the Code Enforcement Officer. To get started, submit a completed Use Permit application to the Code Enforcement Office.



A Site Plan Review is required for projects involving new or expanded construction. Plans are reviewed by either the Planning Office Staff or the Planning Board. Site Plan Applications are available online and at the Gorham Planning Office.

All new buildings, including accessory structures, must be built in compliance with the MUBEC (Maine Uniform Building & Energy Code) which includes the 2009 International Residential Code (IRC), 2009 International Building Code (IBC), 2009 International Existing Building Code (IEBC) and the State of Maine Life Safety Code (NFPA101).



Every property in Gorham is located within one of 14 zoning districts. Each district has a list of uses that are appropriate to that particular zoning classification. The Land Use and Development Code outlines "permitted uses" that are allowed by right and uses that may be acceptable but require Administrative Review or Planning Board review. Accessory and Special Exception uses may be permitted in some districts with the issuance of a permit from the Code Enforcement Officer.

Use Gorham’s interactive GIS maps to determine the zoning of your property.